Monday, February 20, 2012

Praying in Agreement

First let me say that I'm so sorry it's been two weeks since I posted!  Life gets busy...but I really want to endevour to keep this blog current...so if those of you reading it consistently would pray for me to be disciplined and consistent in posting - that would be aweosme! 

Now..let's get to the subject of ' agreement in prayer'.  I love talking about this! I think the power of agreement is such an incredible weapon of warfare! I also think it can work against us, or for us. How so, you ask? Well..listen the words of your mouth. Listen to the conversations around you.  You will hear two things; either people are agreeing with what God says about their lives...or they are agreeing with what the enemy says.  Whichever one you agree with, becomes a stronger influence in your life!

Now..I am NOT talking about word faith...or 'name and claim it'. Nor am I talking about the power of positive confession - altho there is some truth in all of the ones I've just named. It seems to be that because a 'truth' gets taught and then becomes extreme by those teachign it, we tend to throw the baby out with the bath water!  The Word Faith movement taught us to get back into the Word and know what God says about us, our lives etc.  The 'name and claim' movement, taught people to stand on that word , beleiving!  The power of positive confession movement taught us to be aware of how we were speaking.  The problem is ( in my opinion), all those teaching began to be used for our own selfish means - to get more, have more etc.  - AND sadly enough, to begin to judge others!  So...beleive me when I say, I'm not advocating any of that.

What I am saying tho, is that we DO need to get back to Word..and become aware of what God says about us. We do need to stand on what He promises...and we need to start speaking that out. For instance..I am going to 'agree' with God that HE is my source of provision and because of that I can trust Him for my daily needs. ( Does that mean I don't work - of course not! I also agree with God that it's 'good for man to work'...and that 'a laborer is worthy of his wages ' etc.)..  But I want to start my prayer times off with positioning myself IN AGREEMENT with what I know about God - He is listening to me. His ear is inclined to me. He loves to save his people.  The list goes on and on.

When I pray I don't want to be either talking to the enemy or agreeing with him aobut my situation. Even in my darkness times, I chose to be like David, and confess my weakness, my sadness BUT then give it to him, and stir up my sould to REMEMBEER what God has said and done in the past. When I am waiting for an answer to something, I thank God that He hears me, is working on my behalf. I remind myself that God has delivered my int he past and WILL do it again. I do not agree that I am helpless, hopeless or should give up. I come into agreement with what I know about God, speak it out over my situation..and tell  God my faith is in Him to move!

Sometimes my thoughts want to convince me otherwise. I can get really downcast..and as David said, my soul becomes disquieted. The longer I look at the battle waging around me. The longer I look at a storm and it's apparent power, I can start agreeing ith the enemy that my situation 'looks hopeless'...that it's never going to end...that God doesn't care I'm in pain  - and the list goes on.. The more I agree with the enemy, the worse the situation  feels and the bigger the storm looks.

I chose to give my attention, turn my attention..and give my agreement to what I truly know - whether  I 'feel' like it or not - ' this I know'... GOD IS FOR ME....God is in control. God is working on my behalf. God will make a way of escape for me.  God will turn this for good .  I can trust Him. He loves me!

The power of agreement, isn't just in agreeing with someone else ( altho that's another powerful prayer tool) ...it's agreeing with the character and word of God.  It's amazing how much hope comes from praying from that position! 

No comments:

Post a Comment