Sunday, June 28, 2009

Praying with A Pure Heart

Remember the key to praying in faith..and with a pure heart is knowing the will of God. I Jn.5:14



How can we know His will?

1. Read it in Scripture . II Tim.3:15, 16

2. Asking Him ( and getting a response). Jn.14:26, 16:13, II Tim.2:7, James 1:5-7

Now..this gets easier as we spend more time with Him.



Why do we need a Pure Heart?



Any sin is going to obstruct our intimate relationship with the Father. It will also reduce the effectiveness of our prayers! Read Isa. 59:1-2 . Vs. 1 says He can do anything...yet Vs.2 says 'our sins have separated us from God and he will not hear us' . The Lord deals with this in Matt.6:12.



Here's an example

. So often when we pray, we need to 'release forgiveness', rather than praying for God to show someone how much they've hurt us. Rather we need to trust God that He knows. I remember one day, kneeling at the side of the bed crying and weeping over a injustice that had been done to me. I was doubly distraught because the person involved had absolutely no awareness, nor wanted any, of the hurt they had caused.



Finally I heard the Lord say to me, " Isn't it enough that 'I' know how much it's hurt you?" .



I've never forgotten that lesson. I wasn't going to be at peace until the person 'knew' how much they'd hurt me. Some how I needed them to know! But even if they did, I realised it would never be enough anyways! Then I realised that only God can truly know the sorrow in my heart when an offense or wound has happend. How much better to go to Him for comfort and healing? He's the best source ! Once I let that go, it completely transformed my prayers, not only for that particular person, but for others. In allowing myself to be healed, I felt closer to God and His voice seemed clearer, in ways I hadn't experienced for weeks.



If we forgive, it purifies our heart. Answers to prayer don't depend on what my adversary does or does not do. They depend on what I do.



James says " You ask and do not receive." Why?

James 4: 2 sites wrong desires - ' you lust, fight and covet'

James 4:3 sites wrong motive

James 4:3 sites wrong objectives: to satisfy your own pleasures.



We ask for the Holy Spirit to give us

1. the right desire...which is intimacy with the Father

2. the right motive, which is to glorify God and

3. the right objective, which is to do God's will.



Lastly....sin will impede not only how we hear from God, but what we will hear! Our desire needs to be like Jesus, ' to do the will of Him who sent me'. How can we do that? Well...be like Jesus and only do what we see the Father doing - only speak what we hear the Father saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment